If the election passes, the Library District will receive the increased revenue beginning in January 2018. The Board of Trustees, therefore, has decided to use some of our reserves to start on improvements as soon as possible. Subject to staff scheduling, the Library would like to begin opening on Fridays and Saturdays within a few weeks.
In addition, the Library District has several goals it intends to accomplish with the increased funds:
- Open the Montrose Regional Library seven days a week, opening on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Increase our books and materials budget.
- Increase outreach services by sending the bookmobile out more often and bringing back service to senior centers. The bookmobile currently has more than 45 requests for stops the District can’t even consider.
- Catch up on maintenance issues. Library facilities are a community investment and it is generally less expensive to maintain small problems before they become big problems.
- Put money into reserves again to tide the District over through budget shortfalls and to fund capital expenditures. The Library District has never borrowed money to fund a facility or project.